Before creating Kimura & Partners in 2001, Takaaki Kimura had over 12 years in medium and large Japanese IP law firms handling multinational corporations’ IP needs and SMEs. He gained in-depth experience in registering and defending the IP of big corporations and SMEs.
After starting his firm, Kimura realized that SMEs too often received inadequate or no IP Registration. SMEs were open to significant risks of copying or IP infringement, domestically, and globally. That is why he set the mission of his firm to support SMEs’ IP protection.
Good Patent Attorneys typically have technical and engineering expertise and skill. However, Kimura also has the experience, business savvy, and IP creativity to prove the “novelty” or “inventive step” of inventions to the authorities.
Early on, Kimura recognized the vital importance of being willing and able to defend SMEs in infringement matters. Due to his experience and compassion for SMEs, we willingly take on such work and have a high success rate in stopping infringement and securing damages. Knowing how to win infringement cases also means that Kimura builds more robust IP applications and appeal processes.
- JPAA (Japan Patent Attorneys Association) since 1989
- 1995 to 2017, Member and Co-Chair three times of the International Activity Committee and International Activity Center
- In charge of the matter of “Harmonization of The Global Patent System,” represented the JPAA at WIPO harmonization meetings regarding PLT (Patent Law Treaty), SPLT (Substantive Patent Law Treaty), SCP (Standing Committee Of Patent Law), and PCT (Patent Cooperation Treaty)
- AIPPI (International Association of the Protection of Intellectual Property)
- APAA (Asian Patent Attorneys Association)
- IP Council for the Japan Leather Goods Industries Association—since 2010
- IP Council for the Tokyo Handbag Association—since 2001