It can be interesting and useful to read about foreign companies and their success, resulting from obtaining patents in Japan. The JPO publishes just such information. The business benefits to foreign companies of patents in Japan are many and diverse.
The source for the information in this article is the JPO and its website.
Kimura & Partners writes regularly on notable updates to Japanese IP law and related developments. Our focus is on Patent and Trademark law of relevance to the global SME market seeking strong IP protection in applications and infringement defense. We have a long history of supporting SMEs in Japan, and multi-jurisdictionally, with our unique approach to client relationships and “fighting on the IP Battlefield”.
The JPO interviewed companies in countries/regions other than Japan and asked them about the business benefits of obtaining patents in Japan. This survey has found that obtaining patents in Japan helps getting safe claims, getting more investments, expanding to other markets and finding business partners.
In the latest case studies we learn about these situations, and more, based on gaining domestic patents of foreign technologies in Japan.
- Forming Japanese subsidiaries that commercially leverage the patents
- Launching dedicated Japanese research facilities and programs
- Establishing Japanese Partnerships, Joint – Ventures and Licensing
- Accessing business grants and subsidies based on advancing an industry
- Creating company Centers Of Excellence in Japan
- Leveraging the PCT and PPH for global expansion from Japan
- Strengthening a company’s global brand.
In this latest update, the JPO featured seven companies ranging from individual inventors, to SMEs and larger companies in their home countries. The case studies show the history of some situations dating back to early 20th-century inventions:
- RAPHAS JAPAN/Korea/Pharmaceutical, Cosmetics
- Pierre Fabre/France/ Pharmaceutical, Cosmetics
- CSL Vifor/Switzerland/ Pharmaceutical
- Sabinsa Japan/India/Dietary Supplement
- Heraeus/Germany/ Health, Environmental, Electronics, Industrial
- FREE Bionics Japan/Taiwan/ Robot Development, Welfare
- Urbanbase/Korea/ Interior Design, AI Solution
The business benefits to foreign companies of patents in Japan are many and diverse, as perusing these case studies shows. The JPO hopes to inspire inventors all over the world on the benefits of registering patents in Japan.